The website is undergoing a bit of a spring tidy. We hope it will be easier to see see whats happening at our community garden, how to get involved and maybe even offer a few hints and tips! Whilst we work on it please bear with us. Many thanks in advance to Frances (computing undergraduate) who is giving invaluable help and advice on how to improve our site.
In 2016 we had a great year in the garden. Some of the things we go up to include: Spring Gathering, Hanging Baskets, Bee keeping demos, Photography projects, Poetry and More.
We are starting to get together ideas for 2017 events and workshops so watch this space! If you would like to get updates please subscribe to our newsletter.
This weekend we hosted two events. On Saturday we had our Brilliant Bulbs in Bloom event to celebrate our first year of being on the site and welcome back those who helped us plant over 1000 bulbs last autumn. On Sunday we hosted Spring Fest an event organised by Sustainable Sunderland to showcase growing projects across Sunderland. These included Grow Sunderland, Sustainable Sunderland, Eco Logik, Groundwork, OPAL, ICOS Green, Exchange and Change and more. All enjoyed refreshments offered by Bedes Bakehouse.
Many thanks to everyone that came and made the weekend a big success.
This video shows a few clips of some of the things we got up to.
This weekend we have been busy bees. Our resident beekeeper Matt did the first bee hive inspection of the year (see the video below).Volunteers have been planting seeds, digging and watering and getting things ready for events next weekend:
- 19th March 10.30 am -4 pm Brilliant Bulbs in Bloom.
- Come and see our garden, the bulbs planted last Autumn and the bees. Take part fun activities including seed planting, get arty in the green house and enjoy an Easter egg hunt.
- 20th March 2 pm – 4 pm Sustainable Sunderland Spring Fest
- A fun afternoon learning about growing and environmental projects across Sunderland. Activities include bug hotels, Easter egg hunt, live music and refreshments from Bedes Bakehouse.
- For info See: http://www.sustainablesunderland.org.uk/
For updates see www.facebook.acom/aspace2grow
If you liked the previous Bee post, I hope you enjoy this fun slow mo close up of our Bees.
After a wet and cold winter we have been just a little concerned about how our new colony would cope. Today the warm rays of the sun encouraged our bees to come out. It seems there are doing just fine. We are looking forward to some honey this summer, venerable honey that is.
As Spring approaches we’re looking forward to seeing lots of volunteers, and lots of produce and flowers in the garden again. We have now started sowing seeds in the warmth and protection of the greenhouse to start off the new season’s planting.
During March and April volunteer sessions will be Saturdays between 10 am -2 pm
We also hope to start a midweek volunteer session soon.
There are also a number of events:
Please note: 5th March 2 – 5 Fruit Tree Grafting Workshop – Postponed for now
Events in March:
19th March 10.30am – 4pm March Brilliant Bulbs in Bloom @ A Space 2 Grow
We are celebrating our first birthday with some fun stuff along with the usual gardening activities we get up to :
- Come and see the bulbs planted in November in full bloom
- Help us decorate the glass in the greenhouse with spring themed art
- Get growing – kids and adults alike can plant seeds to take away or donate to our kitchen garden
- Enjoy Easter Egg hunt
Some of our team like to bring cake, so get to the garden early for a slice!
20th March 2 – 5 pm Sustainable Sunderland Spring Fest – hosted by St Peters Church & A Space 2 Grow
Come and see a range of groups and organisations involved in growing food, conservation and environmental projects. Lots of fun activities. Live music.
Events after Easter (dates tbc):
- Introduction to beekeeping day
- Get Arty: Make a pinhole camera (session 1)
For all updates see www.facebook.com/aspace2grow or Twitter @aspace2grow
Alternatively email: email@example.com